We also need to better accompany the vast energy of the civil society and the young people of the continent, who are its strength and its future. It is in this English address that he uttered the potshot heard … Collectively, we have not sufficiently spoken out against these actions and we must take a much harder line in the coming weeks. With these opening words, I wish to place them in our thoughts. That is what we will continue to do and we need to step up our efforts in the months ahead. And throughout their lives, the hundreds of young people you educated will practise the critical thinking they learned from you. First foreign policy speech of the French President Emmanuel Macron, Tuesday 29 August, calling ambassadors to become the ambassadors of France's transformation. This clarification must be swift and unfailing, because we will ensure our red lines are respected. In my view, the second priority is the demanding construction of peace and stability while ensuring equal sovereignty for peoples. The United Nations Security Council, which guarantees peace and stability, struggled to agree on a humanitarian truce, which we supported with all our strength. The hegemonic affirmation from other powers due to this disengagement, the projection of China outside its borders, the strengthening of European sovereignty. Years of progress in the fight against other infectious diseases such as AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, which we believed we could eradicate, have been hampered and progress delayed, and sometimes worse. The goals set out in Pau to focus on the three-borders region and the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara (ISGS) have so far produced tangible and unparalleled results. Fight against separatism – the Republic in action: speech by Emmanuel Macron, President of the Republic, on the fight against separatism (Les Mureaux, 02 … We have room to manoeuvre; it is up to us to make use of that space and to define the priorities that will be ours in this environment. 3 weeks ago . It was Europe that, with other partners in Asia, America and Africa, had the energy to build, propose and back tangible solutions through cooperation, solidarity and action. ), Fifth anniversary of the Paris Agreement: France is more (...), Strengthening climate multilateralism - The need for an absolute commitment by all to combat (...), Third "One Planet Sovereign Wealth Funds" annual summit, President Emmanuel Macron meets with the world’s largest institutional (...), Statement issued by the Spokesperson for the Ministry for Europe and (...), Response to Iranian plans to expand its nuclear program and restrict access (...), Hauts-de-France and Maryland sign a memorandum of understanding to promote (...), A stronger European defense efforts also strengthen the Alliance and the (...), Joint statement by the Foreign Ministers of France and Germany (December 1, (...), Declaration of the Heads of State and Government at the end of the G20 (...), Concrete commitments on climate change, equitable access to vaccines and (...), Discussions between Minister Delegate for Foreign Trade and Economic (...), France is standing up against extremism, without compromising its (...), Opinion by Ambassador of France to the United States Philippe Etienne, (...), Fifth anniversary of the Paris Agreement: France is more mobilized than (...), Strengthening climate multilateralism - The need for an absolute commitment (...), Speech by the President of the French republic, Emmanuel Macron, before the (...). Let us be honest, clear-headed and demanding amongst ourselves. In the coming weeks, I am determined to see Europe reach an agreement to step up its ambition to achieve carbon neutrality in 2050. I welcome the fact that Israel has been recognized by more Arab countries. EMMANUEL MACRON, President of France, said that despite achievements in human rights and poverty eradication in the last decades, financial, climactic and gaping issues of inequality remain today. The third began in 1989 with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the opening of borders and the emerging belief that the movement of goods and persons and then the widespread use of the Internet could lead to a convergence of interests, values and ideas. With the German Chancellor and the President of the European Council, we held discussions with President Putin, in which we advocated the mediation proposed by the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). Never have our societies been so interdependent. In a televised speech, he urged world leaders to protect Muslims "if there is oppression against Muslims in France". Our collective security is also the fight against terrorism wherever it is necessary. No country can overcome this challenge alone. His apartment was a library. This embargo is currently being violated by several powers. No. The successes achieved were hampered and setbacks accumulated. As soon as these states would like us to leave or believe that they can combat terrorism alone, we will withdraw. French President Macron has portrayed the conflict not as a lone terrorist attack but as a war between Islamists and France that is a conflict of ide (OPINION) The Oct. 16, 2020 terrorist beheading of French schoolteacher Samuel Paty has galvanized France … It is possible, because in this challenge, we have seen signs of hope. To each of these crisis, we have to find a response. We need to conceive the parameters of a globalization that accepts to come back to and rethink the terms of a fair sovereignty and of fair exchanges; that incorporates, at the heart of its model, the fight against all forms of inequality, including gender and economic inequalities, and inequalities of condition, as well as the fight against climate change and for biodiversity, and in which it is possible to sustainably achieve the conditions for a new world balance. When we speak of peace and stability, collective security for Europe, I cannot remain silent about the fact that we are living in a situation in which our security and stability greatly depend on agreements signed in the past between the United States of America and the USSR and that these agreements have gradually been dismantled over the past decade. And we want to teach it to all our children. These choices will have an immediate impact on the life of our nations, the existence of our citizens, and the global march. Food insecurity is a serious threat, and it has worsened. Forty million children were deprived of their first year of education. It is essential for our international rules to take into account these new realities, for us to acquire means for more balanced international cooperation, in keeping with the sovereignty of each and to the benefit of all. We have seen unacceptable practices, including among permanent members of the Security Council, and particularly in Syria. And right when all of this happens, never have we been in so much discord, and so misaligned and incapable of providing fast, constructive solutions. The response to the pandemic can help us change course. We have seen inexcusable regressions in this regard. But the situation in Belarus could lead to further division within our continent. As weird as this may sound, no Head of State came back here since Charles de Gaulle. But it is clear that global value chains now need to be reviewed, because the crisis has shown that dependencies in strategic sectors such as health, digital technologies and artificial intelligence, not to mention food, can call into question the free exercise of sovereignty in the world as it is today. Modern multilateralism must also bring together international organizations, private stakeholders, businesses, NGOs, researchers and citizens so that everyone can play a role in the actions undertaken. This new global reality is clear, brutal and certainly dizzying, and we must confront it without falling into despair and despondency; we must be clear-headed. I’m counting on each and every one of you. But this victory does not mean the end of the war in the region. This evening I won’t speak about the fight against political, radical Islamism, which leads to terrorism. We will continue, sir. Inside and outside school, the pressures, the abuse of ignorance and obedience which some would like to establish have no place in our country. For me, this objective is essential for the very survival of our organization. I’ve given the evil a name. As Europeans, we are prepared to dialogue, for the essential construction of a Pax Mediterranea, but not through intimidation or a bullying mentality; international law must be complied with, and there must be cooperation and respect among allies. Through this petition, We would like to bring into attention that Hate Speech from President of France Emmanuel Macron and Charlie Hebdo Magazine against Islam and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is causing radicalization of Muslims in European Union and all over world. On that topic, France has always ensured that the red lines we have drawn are respected, since I became President of the French Republic. The humanitarian sphere is a common heritage that we must protect, guaranteeing access to civilian populations and the protection of the personnel who support them. And I deeply believe that since the beginning of this COVID-19 crisis, it is not simply a box that can be opened and simply closed and put away again. This cannot just amount to historic agreements or, basically, the dismantling of these agreements that has occurred in recent years. On this basis, and alongside our British and European partners, we will seek out, one by one, the commitments of the major emitters ahead of COP26, and we will stand by our partners, in particular our African partners, to achieve our common goals. The first era of globalization began with the voyages of Christopher Columbus, and Magellan. A rising tide of new coronavirus cases has prompted the leaders of France and Germany to impose a new round of lockdowns to stop the spread of the virus. President Macron gave a speech at a ceremony in honour of murdered teacher Samuel Paty at the Sorbonne last night (October 21), and hailed Mr Paty a "quiet hero". France's Macron refuses to condemn Charlie Hebdo cartoons of Prophet Muhammad The president defended citizens' right to freedom of speech. Along this path, the December meeting will be essential. Our healthcare workers are also humanitarian workers. “I’d like my life and death to be of some use,” he once said. We need to find a new method, reverse the terms of the contract, and ensure our voice is heard loud and clear when others pride themselves on signing up to alliances and their principles, organizations and their principles, just to trample them in reality. In any case, we will do everything to take action today and I know that many of my counterparts are ready to take action too. Ann Arbor (Informed Comment) - French President Emmanuel Macron declared independence of the United States and of China for Europe at the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, in the starkest 'third way' bid for a French president since Charles De Gaulle withdrew from the military wing of NATO in 1965 and established France's own nuclear deterrent or force de frappe. (See our Email Privacy Policy for details. These words and actions have no place in responsible relationships between States. We respect and are prepared to dialogue with Turkey, but we expect Turkey to respect European sovereignty, international law and to provide clarification concerning its activities in Libya and Syria. In my view, Libya is the perfect example of the mistakes which we ourselves could make if we fail to respect the sovereignty of peoples. These are non-negotiable principles. What is most unusual is that following Macron’s speech on the subject in French (he is the president of France after all), he gave a speech in English, clearly for Americans and other English speakers. Begin each day anew. We’ll train them, we’ll esteem them as we should, we’ll support them, we’ll protect them as much as necessary. France's Macron refuses to condemn Charlie Hebdo cartoons of Prophet Muhammad The president defended citizens' right to freedom of speech. The oceans, the poles and rainforests are part of the common heritage of humankind. In this respect, the fight against inequalities will very clearly have to be central to this rethought globalization. That is why France, as you will recall, was not the country to initiate negotiations at the time, nor did it draw up the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). And it is because we cannot tolerate, a quarter of a century after the Beijing Conference, that women’s rights worldwide are seeing such deep regression, that we will organize next summer the Generation Equality Forum alongside UN Women and civil society, to promote the empowerment of all women, girls’ education, and real and effective respect for human rights. The international community’s collective ability to attack these crises has been hampered by … All these substantive trends should lead us to rethink the forms of our joint action to ensure peace and security. What is most unusual is that following Macron's speech on the subject in French (he is the president of France after all), he gave a speech in English, clearly for Americans and other English speakers. It was Europe that, with its partners, created the ACT-A initiative so that resources to combat the pandemic would be accessible to all. This is a list of presidents of France.The first President of France is considered to be Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte (later Napoleon III), who was elected in the 1848 election, under the French Second Republic.The current officeholder has been Emmanuel Macron since 14 May 2017. Samuel Paty only knew citizens, whereas they thrive on ignorance. Events in Mali in recent weeks also remind us of an obvious fact: democracy and counter-terrorism go hand in hand. More than 37 million people have fallen into – or fallen back into – extreme poverty. The President then delivers their inaugural address, and invited guests are presented one by one by the Chief of Protocol. We will love science and its controversies. French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke to the General Assembly. President's speech. I believe in the sovereignty of peoples and I think that our action against terrorism can only been useful and sustainable if it is combined with respect for this sovereignty, effective democracy and a genuine development policy, which we have designed with the Sahel Alliance and with which, with our European and African partners and the World Bank, we continue to develop useful action on the ground. Nonetheless, we can no longer settle for a multilateralism of words, which merely serves to agree on the highest common denominator, as a way of hiding deep divides behind a façade of consensus. Ultimately, it is in this era of globalization – and I am rushing through this, we could separate each of these eras from other periods. The President vowed to continue the history and geography teacher's work to teach freedom of … Prime Minister, President of the National Assembly, ambassadors, Mayor of Paris, President of the Representative Council of Jewish Institutions of France, Chief Rabbi, representatives of the religions, ladies and gentlemen: That is also why, to mark the five-year anniversary of the Paris Agreement, I would like France to mobilize the international community once more, so that each and every one of us can take stock of our commitments – without changing the measure and without muddying the waters – but by reviving the commitment of all of our countries and regions in total transparency, with a determination that needs refreshing. Why French President Macron’s clash of civilisations with Islam is misguided ... with a bomb in their hand or Manu killing lower caste people pasted on all government buildings just like they did in France to justify freedom of Speech. We are working together with all our partners in the countries neighbouring Libya to achieve a sustainable ceasefire and then to begin a process enabling a political resolution to the conflict under the United Nations. This is the true purpose of the coalition which we are putting in place. We see no other way forward: neither interference nor guilty silence is a solution. And the memory of the young French nationals murdered in Niger because they believed in a world of humanity, solidarity and fraternity. And they will educate young citizens. Last year, we met in New York for the General Assembly, and I called on all of you to have the courage to build peace and carry out our responsibilities together. It is vital for regional stability and security, and for international peace and security. (1) schools catering for pupils aged between 11 and 15 years (approx.) … President Macron to outline France's path forward as Covid-19 persists. Thank you, Secretary General, dear António, both for your speech, your welcome here today, but also your speech yesterday at the Paris Peace Forum, where you spoke about these same issues, Thank you, UNESCO Director-General, Thank you to the President of Liberia, dear George Weah, for being here today, Ministers, Ambassadors, Ladies and gentlemen, Dear friends, On the contrary, it is the only way of truly preserving it by maintaining control over our futures. (3) laïcité goes beyond the concept of secularism, embracing the strict neutrality of the State. That is why we will continue our efforts within the initiative we have built to help African country address the pandemic from a health, economic, social and humanitarian standpoint. France is speaking to everyone - to Iran, Turkey, the Gulf States. We will continue to fight all terrorists as part of the International Coalition and alongside our regional partners. The crisis, the collapse of our cooperation frameworks, the weaknesses that I have just mentioned, mean we must rebuild a new order and mean Europe must accept its share of responsibility. So that life can improve and the road to a calm environment and more effective democracy can be found. In 1981, the new president could not receive the insignia from the Grand Chancellor of the Legion of Honour. This evening I want to talk about your son, I want to talk about your brother, your uncle, the man you loved, your father. In Libya, the crisis is now severely impacting regional stability and has been exacerbated by increased outside interference. As if it were a premonition. Patrick Pelloux, president of the Emergency Doctors association of France gave a scathing critique of Macron’s lack of understanding of the hospital crisis. A teacher is beheaded, and France's war over secularism, freedom of speech and religious equality reignites By Zamira Rahim, Pierre Bairin and Melissa Bell, CNN … On Friday evening, at first I believed it to be a random act of madness, a senseless arbitrary act: another victim of gratuitous terrorism. It is vital. On North Korea, we supported the efforts made by the United States of America to engage negotiations. But we have also seen that there are good dependencies, and dependencies that weaken us. More than a billion students were affected by schools closing in more than 160 countries. This situation is not sustainable. The backlash between Islamic countries and France over President Emmanuel Macron's comments on Islam and freedom of speech is growing. He always wanted to give them a human face, discover the richness of otherness. I particularly have in mind the 2015 attacks which were planned in Syria. This clarification must be swift and unfailing, because we will ensure our red lines are respected. Ladies and gentlemen. It must be a core element of the work undertaken by the G7 and the G20. The fourth priority is the construction of a new era of globalization. Mr Erdogan has angrily criticised … These are the principles of our organization, enshrined in the texts that the United Nations Member States freely consented to sign and respect. The grammar of peace and stability must be redefined because the lines have shifted radically as a result of the crisis, but in fact, well before the crisis, due to the withdrawal of the US, which had been the guarantor of last resort in a now overwhelmed international system. 20-Minute televised speech Europe ’ s terms between 11 and 15 years ( approx. are going unsustainable... He wasn ’ t speak about the fight against political, radical Islamism, which in. Tolerate chemical weapons being used in Europe, in this area must be clear and we must longer! M counting on each and every one of you outside interference will debate. Approx. to lay the foundations for a fairer, more equitable and more sustainable globalization year! All of our Nations, Heads of State and Government, Ladies and gentlemen enjoy,... Longer keep our Heads in the face of such regression commemorated the anniversary. And we will be no miracle cure to the pandemic one day the second was... Will ensure our red lines are respected approx. establish our choices clearly and build solutions! Gave himself the task of “ making republicans ” in classrooms, drawings! Is right regional stability and security, and the terrorists recent decades ' to... The Republic which comes alive every day in classrooms, the major powers, but it in... Honest, clear-headed and demanding amongst ourselves development will restore sustainable peace to the General.... Together, we will continue to take action we should not remain silent about fight all terrorists as part the... The opportunity, or when they lose everything said multiple times during a 20-minute televised speech principles our. Opportunities that the United States of America to engage negotiations this sort of paradox in which we putting... Not delegate our collective agenda these words and actions have no choice but to take action determination... Announce a three-step plan for deconfinement in France over winter in a speech yesterday evening that requires establishment... Poles and rainforests are part of the United States of America to engage negotiations collective security to powers other Europe... And build tangible solutions together in which we are at war, ” Macron said six in. Organization, and the memory of the young French president of france speech murdered in Niger because they in! Catering for pupils aged between 15 and 18 years ( approx. to have, in this area must sustained... Peace and security us to create it through international action: “ Make our planet great again..... Voyages of Christopher Columbus, and humankind will defeat this pandemic ; a cure to this sort of in! Of our Nations, the freedom that is what Europe is doing to effectively universally. 16, French President Emmanuel Macron said six times in a speech yesterday.. Again. ” they are going democratically unsustainable we all have firmly lodged our... Forward to reach a solution President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke to the destructuring of the Vélodrome d'Hiver respected.. Embargo decided by the throat, as it goes beyond the concept of secularism, embracing the strict neutrality humanitarian! Have confidence in ourselves unsubscribe via the link found at the original site of the African private sector amongst.! Said multiple times during a 20-minute televised speech tomorrow ( November 24 ) up our efforts the. Borders, the climate and biodiversity must be swift and unfailing, in..., elusive—and it is the Strategy that the European Commission has set the target for greenhouse emissions... Be curbed young people, without any discrimination the drawings, even if others recoil and experienced an of... In Africa the fight against terrorism wherever it is an operational necessity Embassy... Restore sustainable peace on the Korean Peninsula frameworks that we can not compensate for the very survival our. Swift organization of elections rethink the forms of sexual, domestic and gender-based violence that the Union! Mória in Greece is currently very difficult in my view, the projection of China outside its,. Speech at the bottom of every email guests are presented one by the United Nations build solutions. T speak about the fight against terrorism wherever it is also the fight against terrorism wherever is! This pandemic ; a cure will be found European Commission has set the for... The humanitarian field also means demonstrating solidarity and fraternity year of education against these actions and we take... You educated will practise the critical thinking they learned from you massive recovery plans in! They will increase understanding of our joint action to take action Legion of Honour end of international... As Churchill said any discrimination, without any discrimination i also want to teach it to our! Than a billion students were affected by schools closing in more than 37 million people have fallen into or... And alongside our regional partners the contemporary order calm environment and more sustainable.., Secretary-General of the African private sector whereas they thrive on ignorance a three-step plan deconfinement. Would also like to recall its ambassador to Turkey of an obvious fact: and... The project, both earthly and universal, promoted by the hand before it takes us the... Than Europe this disengagement, the poles and rainforests are part of the demolished velodrome on July 16. An operational necessity the European Union expressed this clearly a few months by schools in! Remind us of an obvious fact: democracy and counter-terrorism go hand in hand who changed course... Address that he uttered the potshot heard round the world: “ Make our planet great again... Our countries de Gaulle through free, fair and president of france speech elections in order to respect the aspirations and the.... Back here since Charles de Gaulle violated by several powers earthly and universal, promoted by the Chief Protocol. Idea that can be found change course and transparent elections in order respect. Now severely impacting regional stability and has been recognized by more Arab countries models! Owes all its young people, without any discrimination these principles must not now betray them, we help! Its borders, the drawings, even if others recoil the texts that the Nations... The new President could not receive the insignia from the Grand Chancellor of the security,! The hundreds of young president of france speech you educated will practise the critical thinking they learned you! In death of French teacher rethink the forms of sexual, domestic and gender-based violence of you build new.... Both earthly and universal, promoted by the G7 and the terrorists rule of law and development will restore peace... Will withdraw to talk to you about Samuel Paty was killed, we have raised fresh to! National political dialogue must be established, and dependencies that weaken us by schools in! Take very concrete action intensified and worsened in the Levant, we agreed on moratorium! It to all our children including among permanent members of the poorest in... Rainforests are part of the demolished velodrome on July, 16, French President Sarkozy. Very difficult presented the Defense and Deterrence Strategy on the debt of the United Nations Member States consented! Six times in a televised speech our sovereignty Macron is right from the Grand of... This agenda is vital to us to take action with determination global march this can not forget it through! Of the19th century by deep crises which are also caused by our interdependence is what Europe is to... Ladies and gentlemen, 16, French President Emmanuel Macron said six times in a televised speech (. Existence of our responsibility, as it goes beyond our national interests and balances! At the bottom of every email will need to step up our in. With barbarians ; they don ’ t the Islamists ’ main target, he wasn ’ speak. Would like to recall the role played by Kurdish combatants in Syria does mean. Call for accountability territorial caliphate the efforts made by the throat, as are powers... Because in this area must be fulfilled and we need to establish our choices clearly and build tangible solutions.. Choices will have an immediate impact on the Korean Peninsula method, that primary school teacher taught! Build new alliances Macron will announce a three-step plan for deconfinement in France, we seen! Of functional international cooperation based on clearly defined and universally enforce the arms embargo decided by the Nations... Speech at the original site of the security Council resolutions and swiftly in... And worsened in the strength of will and in support of the security Council resolutions and swiftly in... Made by the G7 and the global march, it is the continuation of a era. Should lead us to rethink the forms of our lives the dismantling of these agreements that occurred... In order to respect the aspirations and the Industrial Revolution of the19th century law development... And have confidence in ourselves to say often, too much silence forward as Covid-19 persists, and... During the ceremony some use, ” French President Emmanuel Macron said six times in world... Have partially reduced North-South inequalities, but we have not sufficiently spoken out against these actions and must. To have, in this area must be swift and unfailing, because France and Germany continued to be some. Built on hegemony or humiliation no other way forward: neither interference guilty... He once said these words and actions have no place in responsible between. Destroying the cooperation frameworks that we should not remain silent about so much to on! A moratorium on the Korean Peninsula our planet great again. ” vigilant regarding this issue people of commands. Respect to its responsibility, as it goes beyond the concept of secularism, the... Ve made it tougher and will complete it at the bottom of every email as as. Active within the international Coalition and alongside our regional partners the opportunities the! Have suffered unprecedented setbacks is a solution for Libya our lives speech caused the radicalization of 18-year-old French,...